The Law, and the DVLA

It’s always the driver’s responsibility to make sure they’re safe. It’s up to you to ensure you are driving within your capabilities and that your car is safe to drive.

Passport and Licence

Government extension due to Covid 19

If your licence expires before 31 December 2020

Your driving licence or entitlement to drive will be automatically extended for 11 months if it’s due to expire between 1 February 2020 and 31 December 2020. This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19). You will not receive a new licence. The extension will start from the date your licence is due to expire. You can renew your licence online at any time before the extension ends.

Renewing your licence at 70

Around 90 days before you turn 70, the DVLA will send you a  D46P form to renew your licence for a maximum of three years. You need to declare on this form that you are still fit and able to drive safely, so it remains your responsibility to judge this.

If you’re not confident you can make this judgement yourself, you can get professional advice from a Driving Mobility Centre.

You will have to renew your licence in this way every three years. You can either renew your licence in three ways:

  1. On line using the GOV.UK web site. Only use the GOV.UK website to renew your licence – Click here to go to this web site
  2. Renew using the D46P form sent you by the DVLA
  3. Renew by using a D1 form obtained from the Post Office

Click here to apply or renew your licence on line.

Banner-Ad-2-AOC-SquareFor more information on licence changes click here


Notifiable Conditions

Notifiable medical conditions

Telling DVLA about a medical condition or disability

If you have a driving licence you must tell DVLA if:

  • you have a ‘notifiable’ medical condition or disability
  • your medical condition or disability has got worse since you first got your licence
  • you develop a new medical condition or disability

‘Notifiable’ medical conditions and disabilities include epilepsy, strokes and other neurological conditions, mental health problems, physical disabilities and visual impairments.

Click here to see the list of notifiable medical conditions

For additional advice regarding Eyesight and the use of Medicine and Drugs whilst Driving please visit our page on Eyesight and Medicines

For additional information on various Medical Conditions which may affect our ability to drive safely visit our page Medical Conditions

Surrendering your driving licence

There’s no legal age at which you must stop driving. You can decide when to stop, but medical conditions can affect your driving and might mean you have to give up your driving licence until you can meet the medical standards of fitness to drive again.

When you decide to stop driving or are advised by your doctor to stop you’ll need to tell DVLA and send them your licence.

You can download a ‘Declaration of Voluntary Surrender’ , click here to find out more about this

How do I contact the DVLA

Should you need further advice on your driving licence then you can contact the DVLA.

Click here to get the relevant contact details

Driving Minibuses at the age of 70 or Over

As we get older, many of us take up voluntary work, like driving minibuses to help others get around. Your standard licence will not cover you to do this when you renew your licence at 70, unless you renew your minibus entitlement.

If you’re 70 or over (or soon will be) and are renewing your driving licence, you need to:

You should send both forms to the address in section F of the D2.

  • When you are 70 years old, your ordinary driving licence will expire. If you want to carry on driving a car, you must renew your licence using the D2.
  • If you want to carry on driving a minibus, you must also pass a full PCV medical, the same as that for professional bus and lorry drivers. The form required is D4
  • If you have D1 entitlement you must apply to renew this – it doesn’t happen automatically at the age of 70. You need to pass a PCV medical before you renew so don’t leave it to the last minute. As above you will need to complete a D2 and D4 form
  • If you only have B entitlement you still need to pass a PCV medical if you want to carry on driving minibuses. Your new licence will show B(120) which means that you have met the higher medical standard for driving a minibus. But the other restrictions of driving with only B entitlement still apply.
  • Your licence needs to be renewed every three years and you will need a full medical each time using form D4.
  • If you only renew your car driving licence, without a full medical, your new licence will only show B entitlement. You are no longer licensed to drive a minibus. For this you must have either D1 or B(120).

Medically restricted licences: Don’t lose your minibus entitlement!

  • If you have certain medical conditions the DVLA may issue you with a
    medically restricted licence.
  • If you have D1 (101) or D1 79 (NFHR) entitlement, when you first renew
    your medically restricted licence you will lose the D1 unless you specifically
    ask to renew it and have passed a PCV medical (the same medical as for professional bus and lorry drivers). You should not need to take another
    medical until you reach the age of 70 – the D1 79 (NFHR) should renew
    automatically until then.
  • Always check your new licence when you receive it – are the correct
    entitlements shown?
  • If your medical condition changes you must inform DVLA.

2 thoughts on “The Law, and the DVLA

  1. Pingback: Older Drivers Forum

  2. Pingback: Let us introduce ourselves… | Older Drivers Forum

Comments are closed.